Hijacking In SA: When, Where & Which Cars
See the top hijacked hotspots broken up in Western Cape, Gauteng and Kwa-Zulu Natal lists. We get straight into the nitty gritty:
- Mitchells Plain
- Cape Town Central
- Durban Central
- Greenwood Park
- Durban North
- Kempton Park
- Johannesburg Central
Cape Town Specifics
- Voortrekker road – Bellville, Parow
- Military Road
- Alice street – off Voortrekker
- Station Road
- Klipfontein Road
- Prestwich Road + Ebenhezer Road
- Vanguard Drive
Now I know there are going to be a few people out there that are unhappy about these lists and are going to say “I go there every day and it’s never happened to me”, but these have been named hijacking hotspots in SA from Ctrack’s reports. During a hijacking, thieves very rarely leave your car undamaged, check if you could be getting better car insurance cover for a cheaper price with our instant 3-minute online car insurance comparison. Compare more than 9 providers in 3 minutes:
Knowledge is power – Not paranoia!!
It is not being paranoid if you like to know where you stand safety-wise when you travel around Cape Town. Putting your safety first by learning about where to avoid and how to be more careful is smart.
“We would like to emphasise the need for caution among road users and also offer some suggestions to increase vigilance on our roads. Even though there are no guarantees to safety – we believe road users could be safer when being more vigilant on the road and by driving non-distracted.” – says the AA.
Cars and bakkies that are targets for hijacking and theft:
|Most highly targeted sedan|
|· Volkswagen Polo|
|Most highly targeted SUV|
|· Toyota Fortuner|
|· Land Rover|
|Most highly targeted Bakkie|
|· Toyota Hilux|
|Most highly targeted trucks|
Once you know which areas to avoid and know which cars are generally targeted the most, it is important to have a good basic working knowledge of what to do in situations such as these should they arise.
Knowing when to defend yourself and how, knowing what to do should you have a gun on your person (licenced of course) and when to rather let your car go and protect yourself. These are traumatic events and keeping a cool level head is always your best bet. Have a plan of action in mind so that you do not go into a panic state when it happens to you.
We think you may be interested in our article:
Best & Worst Insurance Companies In South Africa Exposed
You may also like
- You just bought a new car or you are looking for a new insurance provider. Do yo...
- Car Insurance, Car Insurance, the infamous car insurance monthly expense that we...
- Driving over the speed limit by 30km/h or 40km/h respectively can see you have y...
- An astounding number of hijackings happen every single day on the South African ...
- Which Insurers Received The Most Complaints?The Ombudsman reported that Absa Ins...
- We have based the best vehicles to buy on their resale value. Because I mean ult...
- According to the Automotive Association of South Africa, 11.4 million vehicles a...
- The fear is there, for everyone, when it comes to driving around in our cars. Th...